Household allowance

European commission household allowance
European commission household allowance

Employees of EU institutions can receive a number of other benefits on top of the ‘basic salary’. One of these benefits is the the ‘Household Allowance’. This article presents all key information about the household allowance. For a full list of possible benefits that come with a job at an EU institution read this article.


The amount of the household allowance is made up of a fixed part of EUR 192,78 EUR plus an amount equal to 2% of an official’s basic salary. Below are sample calculations of the household allowance for a number of common staff:

  • FG III household allowance is EUR 248.34 = EUR 55.56 (2% of the basic salary 2777.78) + 192.78 fixed part
  • FG IV household allowance is EUR 263.90 = EUR 71.12 (2% of the basic salary 3555.98) + 192.78 fixed part
  • AD 5 household allowance is EUR 291.13 = EUR 98.35 (2% of the basic salary 4917.29) + 192.78 fixed part

Staff entitled to the household allowance

There are two conditions to become entitled to the household allowance – geographical and family status-related. Both have to be fulfilled to qualify.

Firstly, persons starting to work for an EU institution in the same country they live in are usually not entitled to the household allowance. To qualify, you cannot be a national of the country the EU institution is located in, nor is it paid if a person has resided in the country for the last 5,5 years.

Secondly, it is not paid to singles or persons in a non-registered partnership. To qualify, one has to be a staff member:

  • who is married
  • with at least one dependent person, usually, a child
  • in a registered partnership (both opposite and same-sex partnerships are treated equally)

There are cases when the household allowance will not be paid despite possible eligibility, such as, when the spouse’s income is above a certain (quite high) threshold. If both partners are employed in EU institutions, only the largest household allowance will be paid. A national of the country where the EU institution is located can become entitled is he/she has spent the past 10 years in a different EU or third country and were not in diplomatic service nor employed by international organisations.

Do you have any questions or suggestions for this article? Please comment below and let’s make this resource better for other readers!


This article is based on the European Commission Staff Regulations 
and other publicly available information such as EU institutions’ 
vacancy announcements. As the EU legal documents and even 
information on the various websites are hard to understand, this 
post is one from a series of articles that try to make information 
about employment in the European Commission and other EU institutions
more accessible.

By Ben

I'm working at my third EU institution. This website is my way of sharing know-how and expertise no matter if you just plan to get an EU job, already have one, or are planning to leave one. At all stages of your EU job "lifecycle" there are things which are important or nice to know to make the journey more comfortable. I really appreciate every comment that helps me improve the articles for other readers! Tips on new article topics welcome!


  1. Hello! I am starting soon a job in EU Commission. I am married with kids but first I intend to go alone (without husband, kids) in order to make it easier for all of us. So my questions are:
    1) Do I still have the right for household allowance?
    2) What about daily allowance? Do I have the right to receive it for 10 months despite the fact that firstly I am going to be the only one registered to the new country?
    3) The daily allowance is paid at the same time with your salary from the first month or after the probationary period?
    Sorry for so many questions. I really appreciate your help!
    Thanks in advance Ben!

    1. Hi! In your case it really makes sense to look through the Staff Regulation and do a search for household allowance. But after that you would anyway better check it with HR as the rules are quite arcane and sometimes makes sense of for the lay person.

      Answer to Q1) Nevertheless, my search of the Staff Regulation revealed this paragraph: “An official who ►M25 is entitled to the household allowance ◄ and does not settle with his family at the place where he is employed shall receive only half the allowance to which he would otherwise be entitled; the second half shall be paid when his family settles at the place where he is employed, provided that it does so within the periods laid down in Article 9 (3).” Hence, the allowance will most likely be impacted by your family not yet moving to your place of employment.

      Answer to Q2)
      Again a quote from Staff Regulations: “The period in respect of which the daily subsistence allowance is granted shall be as follows:
      […](b) in the case of an official ►M25 ►C16 who is entitled to the household allowance ◄ ◄ : 180 days or, if the official is a probationer, the period of probation plus one month.” I didn’t find a mention anywhere in the Staff Regulations that the daily allowance would be impacted by whether your family has relocated or not. My personal experience also has been that I have received the full Daily Subsistence Allowance despite my family not yet having moved with me in the first months of the new job.

      Answer to Q3) DSA is paid from the start of your probation period. Usually it is the 2nd month as most institutions only manage to pay you the basic salary at best in the first month as they cannot not calculate and process all of your entitlements so quickly. So – be prepared for a leaner income in the first month, but then a compensatory payment in the 2nd month.

      Sorry for the delay in answering you, I hope the reply is still useful.

  2. Suppose you are divorced, and have joint custody of a child (alternate weeks with each parent). going to work for the EU, how will that turn out in term of howsehold allowance? the child will stay with the other parent, because its impratical to move between countries, will it still be considered as a dependent?

  3. Hi all,
    Do we know if ‘household’ and ‘dependent child’ allowances are subjected to correction coefficient like daily subsidiary allowance?

  4. I don’t understand why an employee who is a national of the same country the EU institution is located, should not be entitled of the household allowance, considering that the expatriation allowance is already there for expats.

    1. Indeed, it is sometimes hard to decipher the logic behind the rules. I think I’ll add the respective Staff Regulation articles to the post so that everyone can see for themselves and in case there are any additional details that didn’t seem relevant to me.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.